Deciding on whether to buy a new or used truck can be a difficult, important, even life-changing decision. Below is a simple table that gives an overview of the pros and cons of new and used trucks.
New Truck Pros:
- More reliable
- Less maintenance/repair costs
- Warranty is extensive and lasts a long time
- Easier to get serviced (usually)
- Can be more fuel-efficient
- Can have lower emission levels
New Truck Cons:
- Much more expensive
Used Truck Pros:
- Much less expensive
- For lightly-used trucks, can be very similar in quality to new
- Less financial risk, easier to get out of
- Many old trucks are very powerful and built to last
Used Truck Cons:
- More in maintenance/repair costs
- Unknown history and issues
- No or limited warranty
- Less fuel-efficient (generally)
My name is Jason Forrest, and I’m the creator of Rigbooks. Rigbooks is a cloud-based software that makes it easier for small and medium-sized trucking companies to do their job. We’ve been around since 2010.
A little about me: I grew up in a trucking family and from an early age I learned about the day-to-day problems that truck owner/operators have to deal with. I was into computers and programming as a kid so over the years I helped write small computer programs that helped my parents run their company better. Eventually that led to the idea of putting all those tools together in one package. And Rigbooks was born.
Want more? Check out my free course...
As seen in
More resources for trucking business owners:
- What’s the difference between HVUT, Form 2290, and IFTA?
- "How long do I have to keep these?": FMCSA record retention for owner-operators and small fleet owners
- Top tax filing tips for owner-operators
- Tips for owner-operators with tax problems
- How are fuel surcharges calculated?
- Starting out with an owner-operator trucking business
- Owner-operator expenses: Fixed costs vs variable costs
- Understanding owner-operator expenses and costs
- Gaining half an MPG can put more money in your pocket than adding $90,000 in revenue
- Cutting fuel costs and improving fuel efficiency for Owner Operators
- Top truck-buying tips for owner-operators
- New versus used truck pros and cons table
- Buying a truck: Should you get a new or used rig?
- Preventative maintenance strategies to avoid major repair costs
- IFTA fuel-buying strategies: Where is the best place to buy fuel?
- Calculating your cost per mile
- Owner Operator Expenses - Fixed Costs vs Variable Costs
- How do I calculate IFTA
- How does IFTA work?
- How did IFTA start?
- What exactly is IFTA?
- Tracking miles for IFTA
- Fitness for the road
- Acronym cheatsheet for the trucking industry